Tuesday, May 6, 2008

To or Not to SAAS? (Software AS A Service)

There were days when BIG companies only rented out computers and refused sell them.SaaS is different from this as the new age players help, shield, the users from the pain of doing everything themselves and the users are more than happy to use the service as it is one important thing, they need not worry about!

As of now SaaS seems to be working fine, but will this change? We will obviously have to wait & see. But as a small business owner I would answer a few questions before jumping into SAAS boat.

How comfortable I am knowing that all my accounting informtaion is in some place on the internet and available to me only if I pay up?(after all I am responsible to the Feds!)

How sure, that all my business leads are backed up?(Murphys' Law that too when I have no control)

How sure, that my customers' personal information is leak proof?(there can be few bad apples anywhere and I have limited control)

What would be the best time to hear that the SaaS provider is closing and I need to move to another?(we have seen many very big s/w vendors announcing EOS)

How sure, that my services/data is not accessed by my competitor?(almost everything is just a password away)

How can I cut down software expenses temporarily?(of course lean periods are a reality)

I am definitely not questioning the SaaS capabilities,a great fan of web 2.0, but just checking my comfort levels using SaaS. As developing and maintaing all the required software is time consuming and expensive, SaaS is gaining popularity. But if software development is made easy, affordable & robust would you still be using SaaS for your serious business needs?

Even I use SaaS for picture Sharing.

For faster desktop software development use lyteRAD.

No comments: